CHPSPO Meeting Notes – October 17, 2012
Capitol Hill Public Schools Parent Organization (CHPSPO)
Amidon-Bowen ES, Library – 401 I St., SW
Oct 16, 2012, 6:30-8PM
1) Pace Car Program – Dan Hoagland, WABA (did not attend). More here.
Decision: should be disseminated to principals/schools and driven by schools/neighborhoods.
Next Steps: Suzanne will ask Jennifer Heffernan to get list of schools in the Safe Routes to School program & find coordinators. We’ll work through the coordinators to promote the Pace Car program.
2) White Paper – Suzanne Wells/All
- There may not be critical mass at individual schools to offer programs, e.g., a debate club, but hosting at a library and attracting students from multiple schools is a possibility.
- This is the conversation that principals NEED to have.
- Music as unifying force, especially with DC Youth Orchestra Program at Eastern HS.
- Running programs from multiple schools might compete at nats stadium or have a field day on track at Eastern HS
- Frame as not asking DCPS to take lead, but to guide principals to see this as an opportunity.
- Attachment to white paper w/ statistics to better understand individual school offerings … ex: all elementary schools provide track… why does this not roll up to MS or HS level?
- How do we remove competition? How to we work together to ensure all children in all schools are at reading level? How do we share resources?
- My kid is going to be going to school w/ that kid in MS, so I need to help…
- School reps to collect information about their school activities. Please add them to this document:
- Revise white paper to emphasize the purpose is to promote cooperation among the schools. Consider bringing principals together for a pot-luck dinner to discuss white paper.
3) Class of 20XX
Discussion: Idea is to get students thinking from an early age that they are the high school graduation class of 20XX, and that the Eastern feeder pattern expects there to be a 100% graduation rate. Bigger goal is to help support any student not on track to graduate, and identify students early on so they have greatest chance of graduating from high school. Look for sponsors to support initiative. Tshirts, reunions, pre-unions, Ward 6 scavenger hunt.
Next Steps: Reach out to Drew Golin(Maury) for a framework/details.
4) DCPS Library Funding Follow Up
- DCPS has only agreed to one recommendation by establishing task force
- Protest/rally on Friday, October 19 at the Wilson Building – 8:45 AM – 2:00 PM
5) Learn about IB Middle Years Programme (Joe Weedon)
- October 23, 6PM at Atlas Performing Arts Center, including principals from Eliot-Hine, Jefferson and Eastern. More here.
- Need volunteers to set up and help sign participants in – contact Joe Weedon (firstname.lastname@example.org)
6) Eliot-Hine Living Room Chats – Suzanne Wells
- Looking for 2nd 3rd 4th and 5th grade parents to participate, co-host. Contact Suzanne (email@example.com)
- NOTE: Eliot-Hine set to get bicycle racks!
Next CHPSPO Meeting: November 20, 2012
- Oct 19: Support School Libraries Rally/Protest, 8:45 AM-2 PM @ Wilson Building. More here.
- Oct 21: Brent’s Ward 6 Fall Safety Festival, 11 AM- 4 PM (all donations to support the Meslin Family). More here.
- Oct 23: Learn about International Baccalaureate Middle Years Programme, 6PM @ Atlas Performing Arts Center. More here.
- Oct 27: Tyler Fall Harvest. 11 AM- 3 PM. More here.
- Oct 27: Maury Fall Festival. More here.
- Oct 27: Capitol Hill Montessori @ Logan Haunted Harvest, 6-9PM. More here.
- Nov 8: Cluster Family Game Night & Wine Raffle. More here.
- Nov 10: Amidon-Bowen Fun Day. 11 AM-2PM