The Capitol Hill Public Schools Parent Organization meeting was held at Maury Elementary School on March 15, 2011, 6:30 – 8 p.m.
1) Reviewed Briefing for Kaya Henderson, March 23, 5:30 p.m. Action: updated slides to be submitted to Suzanne Wells (firstname.lastname@example.org). Click here for the final version of the presentation.
2) Ward 6 Middle School Communication Strategy (Jason Townsend)
- Incorporate into presentation to Chancellor Henderson (ask for help from Comms Team/Peggy O’Brien)
- Maury parent Amy W to help develop strategy
- - School notes on Rag – CHPSPO
- Get enrollment numbers from Moody’s group -Ask Claudia for this info
- eMail SW if you want to go
3) SWS Budget: CHPSPO will draft and sign a letter supportive of as much full-funding as possible for programs. Taking into consideration large wait list, large enrollment, expectation of libraries, expectation of art programs
Next CHPSPO Meeting: April 12, 2011 (note: Moved to 2nd Tuesday of month because 3rd Tuesday falls during DCPS Spring Break)
March 18: Ludlow-Taylor’s Spring Gala, Atlas Performing Arts
March 23: Kaya Henderson Briefing, 5:30 p.m
March 26: Maury at the Market, Eastern Market
April 1:Hill Community Foundation Spring Grant Deadline
April 2: Brent’s Taste of the Hill Gala
April 9: School-Within-School at Peabody’s Jazz Gala & Auction
April 30: A Montessori Night’s Dream: Second Annual Silent Auction
Meeting with Vincent Gray on Middle School Plan TBD
Read Full Post | Make a Comment ( None so far )
Capitol Hill Public Schools Parent Organization Stuart Hobson Middle School 410 D Street, NE Room 106 November 16, 2010 6:30 – 8 p.m.
- MOTH School Information Night (Wednesday, Dec 1 @ Eastern Market – 5:30 PM – 8:30 PM). CHPSPO will develop a 1 pager about the Ward 6 Middle School Plan. The following folks signed up: 5:30-6:30 Sandra M, 6:30-7:30 Suzanne W, 7:30-8:30 Lillian R (anyone want to join us, we could use the company!) Contact Suzanne Wells (email@example.com).
- Middle School Collaboration Teams update • Reported on Eliot Hine (meets every 2 weeks) and Stuart-Hobson (has had 3 meetings) collaboration team work.
o Eliot Hine: Stretch goal = 100% of 5th graders in their feeder pattern to go to Eliot Hine. 6th grade summer transition program to ensure kids are at grade level in Math.Want to meet w/ 5th grade teachers in feeder schools so they know how to prepare students.
o Stuart-Hobson: Identified need to hire Museum Magnet coordinator. Maria Marable-Bunch has expressed interest in meeting with the admin team after the winter break to discuss how she can support our efforts to revitalize the Museum Studies program.
• Outreach ideas for Middle Schools:
o Principals going to feeder elementary school PTA meetings, encouraging prospective families to go to open houses. o Letter home to each 5th grade family. (in feeder schools and local charter schools).
o Kid-friendly section in Newsletter.
o Get current 6th grade students to go back to PTAs to talk about Eliot Hine. o Buddy day for students
• CHPSPO outreach for middle schools
o 1 pager to distribute on MOTH SIN and to all schools/neighborhood o Hill Rag Series
o Press Releases
- 501(c)3 status, bylaws (Sherry Trafford and Barbara Riehle) • Discussion and suggestions on membership and voting. Sherry to circulate next draft for Jan meeting.
- Meeting with Vincent Gray on Middle School Plan • In process of scheduling 2 meetings
- Next CHPSPO Meeting: No meeting in December, next meeting January 18, 2011
MOTH School Information Night – Wednesday, December 1, 5:30 p.m. – 8:30 p.m., Eastern Market North HallRead Full Post | Make a Comment ( None so far )
Dear Capitol Hill Public Schools Parent Organization Members,
I wanted to remind everyone that DCPS is establishing “collaboration teams” to support the implementation of the DCPS Ward 6 Middle School Plan. Collaboration teams are being established for Stuart Hobson, Eliot-Hine and Jefferson middle schools. Each team is to have two parent representatives and two teacher/staff representatives selected by each school’s principal, and the principal or assistant principal from each school. Attached are the sheets DCPS prepared with information about the collaboration teams.
The deadline for parents to express their interest in being a member of the collaboration teams is Friday, September 10. Parents should contact their school’s principal, if they are interested in being on the collaboration team. Please help spread the word on your school list serves, and newsletters, about this opportunity to be involved in implementation of the Ward 6 Middle School Plan.
Also, wanted to remind everyone that CHPSPO will hold its monthly meeting on Tuesday, September 21. The two Ward 6 school board candidates will attend this meeting for an informal discussion.
Suzanne WellsRead Full Post | Make a Comment ( None so far )