CHPSPO is hosting a screening of Race to Nowhere on Monday, November 21, 7 PM @ the Atlas Performing Arts Center.
Space is limited so click here to get your tickets TODAY. For more about this film, visit http://www.racetonowhere.com/
The National Research Council (NRC) recently completed and released a report entitled A Plan for Evaluating the District of Columbia’s Public Schools: From Impressions to Evidence. This report, which details the first phase of an evaluation of the District of Columbia’s Public Schools, recommends the establishment of a sustainable system to analyze and guide continuing improvement in the city’s public school system. The George Washington University is glad to have been asked by the Academy to plan the next phases for the development of this initiative and to plan for the development of a consortium on research and evaluation.
As a part of GW’s work this summer, we are inviting parents and community members to offer their views on the direction and related indicators that should be included in an ongoing evaluation of the education reform agenda established by the 2007 PERRA legislation. To determine this information, we are setting up a focus group to be held during the month of July.
During the focus group session, we will ask participants a number of questions, including how they currently learn about school performance in the District of Columbia. We will then seek recommendations on the types of school data that should be gathered and shared with the community as part of an evaluation system.
Our session will be held on the following date:
Date: Tuesday, July 12, 2011
Refreshments: 5:00 – 5:30
Time: 5:30 – 7:00
Location: Early Stages Center
Walker Jones Elementary School
1125 New Jersey Ave., NW
Washington, DC 20001
Please contact Taunya Nesin (firstname.lastname@example.org) to RSVP. Ms. Nesin can respond to related questions. She may be reached by email or by phone at 617-980-1217.
No meeting doesn’t mean no action. Please read about what we’re up to (and how you can contribute).
- Identify the new SY2011/2012 PTA president at your school. Please send their contact information to Suzanne Wells so they can be included in communications (email@example.com).
- Hosting a screening for the movie Race to Nowhere http://www.racetonowhere.com/. Know anyone who might be interested in helping to organize? Please send Suzanne the names of parent volunteers who would be interested in helping organize the screening, including finding a location to show the film and advertising the screening
- Attend a double-feature book talk and film screening about THE POWER OF PARENT ORGANIZING FOR SCHOOL REFORM. June 28, 6-8PM @ Busboys and Poets. http://www.teachingforchange.org/events/hong_fruchter
- The Capitol Hill Fourth of July parade will take place again at Barrack’s Row. Register your school or group here: http://tiberdc.com/4thofjuly/
- There will be a Save Our Schools & National Call to Action national conference and rally in Washington, DC July 28 – 31. If you are interested in attending the conference, you can register at http://www.saveourschoolsmarch.org/event_info/conference/. Consider registering for the Save Our Schools Conference and/or hosting a family.
- Bylaws are still underway.
See you in July!