- by Joe Weedon
International Baccalaureate Programme
World-class curriculum and programming for Capitol Hill students
When: Tuesday, October 23, 6 PM
Where: Atlas Performing Arts Center, 1333 H St., NE
Please join Principals:
- Rachel Skerritt, Eastern HS
- Tynika Young, Eliot-Hine MS
- Natalie Gordon, Jefferson MS
and Bob Smith, DCPS’s IB Manager to learn more about the International Baccalaureate Programme in our neighborhood schools.
For a preview of the progress in implementing this new, rigorous academic program, check out Eliot-Hine Radio: http://www.live365.com/stations/tyoung1Read Full Post | Make a Comment ( 3 so far )
On March 23, CHPSPO parents representing collaborations teams from Eliot-Hine MS, Jefferson MS, Stuart-Hobson MS, and the Montessori Committee (Watkins/Logan) presented a briefing to Chancellor Kaya Henderson on the implementation of the Ward 6 Middle School Plan. Click here for the presentation.Read Full Post | Make a Comment ( 2 so far )
The Capitol Hill Public Schools Parent Organization meeting was held at Watkins Elementary School on January 18, 2011, 6:30 – 8 p.m.
1. Middle School Collaboration Teams update (Eliot-Hine, Jefferson, and Stuart Hobson)
Jefferson (Update by Jason Townsend and Eve Brooks)
- Things all set to go for 6th grade academy in a designated part of the school, element of phase in, phase out w/ grades
- Principal has not been hired for 6th grade academy
- Collaboration team reps going to each school to encourage kids to attend from feeders.
- Applications will be required from each child (even from feeder schools)
- Recruitment campaign outside of the feeder schools
- Dual program approach – (6th grade academy + 7&8th grade will coexist). Good collaboration w/ existing school and budget of existing school along w/ 6th grade academy
- 6th grade academy will be IB from beginning, but 7&8th grade students will have to test in to IB. Testing = proficiency
- Action – Jason Townsend to circulate write up of the structure of the Middle Years Program (IB MYP)
Eliot Hine (Update by Suzanne Wells and Heather Schoell)
- Meeting every other week since teams were formed.
- Outreach to feeder schools (plan for letters to go out to each 5th grade family encouraging to consider Eliot Hine, school representative to meet w/ 5th grade classes, etc.)
- IB: Currently in “year 0” in moving toward IB MYP
- Plan to implement math test to 5th graders to place students at appropriate math level in 6th grade, and to offer remedial math over summer school, as necessary to get students prepared for 6th grade math
Stuart Hobson (Update by Clayton Witt)
- Trying to implement a math evaluation process for rising 6th graders
- Collaborating with Eastern HS to set up continuity of curriculum from SH to Eastern
- Outreach to Ludlow Taylor and JO Wilson (feeders) to start ‘recruiting’ students.
- Eastern principal will be at Cluster PTA meeting in January
2. CHPSPO Priorities and ANC Support Brainstorming Session (outcomes are still under discussion and will be posted soon – please check back)
- Contact Claudia Lujan to come in to discuss Collaboration teams.
- CHPSPO Table at MS Fair – Clayton Witt and Heather Schoell.
Other News: Article on Principal Skerritt to come out in February Hill Rag with information on plans for and the structure of Eastern. Open House on Feb 5. Noon to 2 PM @ Eastern
Next CHPSPO Meeting: February 22, 2011
- Saturday, January 22, 2011, 11 a.m. – 2 p.m – DCPS Middle School Fair, Eliot-Hine Middle School, 1830 Constitution, NE.
- February 5, 12-2PM. Eastern High School Presentation/Tour Open House with detailed information around Eastern HS curriculum
- Meeting with Vincent Gray on Middle School Plan TBD
Curious about your neighborhood school? Check out the upcoming open houses. Mark your calendar now, but check back if the weather is particularly ‘iffy’ (as in 30 inches of snow…).Read Full Post | Make a Comment ( None so far )
DCPS hosted a community meeting for the Ward 6 community (for all families of children attending Ward 6 schools) on Thursday, July 29 @ Maury Elementary.
Attendance was pretty impressive for a mid-summer meeting (50ish participants).
The presentation and all supporting documents (Collaboration Team, Survey feedback and Summary of plan for each individual schools) will be available on the DCPS site: http://www.dcps.dc.gov/DCPS/building-on-momentum
A few highlights that impact all schools:
- Rigorous Academic Program
- Differentiated Math Pathway: assessment for appropriate placement, ‘rigor’ standards that will apply to all schools, math intervention program to get all students ready for Algebra 1 in the 8th grade, teacher PD
- World Language as a core course: HS credit by 8th grade, sharing of teachers to offer additional languages, online programs, after-school programs for credit or enrichment
- International Baccalaureate Middle Years implementation at Jefferson and Eliot-Hine
- Facilities upgrades (Modernization and ‘Blitz’ schedule)
- School Culture and Climate
- Full Service Schools
- Educators for Social Responsibility
- Measuring Success
- Grade Configuration and Feeder Patterns
- Stuart-Hobson: moving Montessori to the Logan School, moving the 5th grade to Watkins and Ludlow-Taylor feeding to Stuart-Hobson effective SY11/12
- Brent feeding to Jefferson and Eliot-Hine until boundaries are re-drawn
- Possible re-opening of Van Ness as a neighborhood elementary school
- School Collaboration teams at each middle school to implement the above plan – contact your principal by September 10, 2010 if you are interested in joining your middle school’s team.
Congratulations to DCPS, the Capitol Hill community and to CHPSPO for this huge step towards excellence across all middle schools!Read Full Post | Make a Comment ( 5 so far )
REMINDER: Please join the Capitol Hill and Ward 6 DCPS community:
Thursday, July 29
Maury Elementary School
1250 Constitution Ave., NE
For background on this initiative, go to:
For more information about this meeting, please contact Claudia Lujan at (202) 719-6598 or Claudia.Lujan@dc.gov.Read Full Post | Make a Comment ( None so far )