The Capitol Hill Public Schools Parent Organization meeting was held at Watkins Elementary School on January 18, 2011, 6:30 – 8 p.m.
1. Middle School Collaboration Teams update (Eliot-Hine, Jefferson, and Stuart Hobson)
Jefferson (Update by Jason Townsend and Eve Brooks)
- Things all set to go for 6th grade academy in a designated part of the school, element of phase in, phase out w/ grades
- Principal has not been hired for 6th grade academy
- Collaboration team reps going to each school to encourage kids to attend from feeders.
- Applications will be required from each child (even from feeder schools)
- Recruitment campaign outside of the feeder schools
- Dual program approach – (6th grade academy + 7&8th grade will coexist). Good collaboration w/ existing school and budget of existing school along w/ 6th grade academy
- 6th grade academy will be IB from beginning, but 7&8th grade students will have to test in to IB. Testing = proficiency
- Action – Jason Townsend to circulate write up of the structure of the Middle Years Program (IB MYP)
Eliot Hine (Update by Suzanne Wells and Heather Schoell)
- Meeting every other week since teams were formed.
- Outreach to feeder schools (plan for letters to go out to each 5th grade family encouraging to consider Eliot Hine, school representative to meet w/ 5th grade classes, etc.)
- IB: Currently in “year 0” in moving toward IB MYP
- Plan to implement math test to 5th graders to place students at appropriate math level in 6th grade, and to offer remedial math over summer school, as necessary to get students prepared for 6th grade math
Stuart Hobson (Update by Clayton Witt)
- Trying to implement a math evaluation process for rising 6th graders
- Collaborating with Eastern HS to set up continuity of curriculum from SH to Eastern
- Outreach to Ludlow Taylor and JO Wilson (feeders) to start ‘recruiting’ students.
- Eastern principal will be at Cluster PTA meeting in January
2. CHPSPO Priorities and ANC Support Brainstorming Session (outcomes are still under discussion and will be posted soon – please check back)
- Contact Claudia Lujan to come in to discuss Collaboration teams.
- CHPSPO Table at MS Fair – Clayton Witt and Heather Schoell.
Other News: Article on Principal Skerritt to come out in February Hill Rag with information on plans for and the structure of Eastern. Open House on Feb 5. Noon to 2 PM @ Eastern
Next CHPSPO Meeting: February 22, 2011
- Saturday, January 22, 2011, 11 a.m. – 2 p.m – DCPS Middle School Fair, Eliot-Hine Middle School, 1830 Constitution, NE.
- February 5, 12-2PM. Eastern High School Presentation/Tour Open House with detailed information around Eastern HS curriculum
- Meeting with Vincent Gray on Middle School Plan TBD