The Capitol Hill Public Schools Parent Organization was held at Maury Elementary School on May 24, 2011, 6:45 – 8 p.m.
1. Discussion on Redistricting – contact Barbara Riehle (Barbara@erols.com). Letter was discussed and signed by participants. Key points: As we encourage families to go to Eliot-Hine and Eastern, the redistricting would create another artificial barrier/line to discourage parents; Will reach out to Commissioner Alexander (Ward 7) to understand the gain for Ward 7 in having EH/Eastern if the families feeding into EH are Ward 6?
2. Race to Nowhere Possible Screening http://www.racetonowhere.com/ (Ms. Albert-Garvey). CHPSPO will coordinate a screening. Principal Albert-Garvey will engage professionals to moderate the discussion after the film. Private screening is a possibility w/ enough community interest. Screening planned for Fall. Contact Suzanne if you are interested in organizing this event – Principal Albert Garvey can help in identifying and soliciting experts/facilitators.
3. Parents Across America http://parentsacrossamerica.org/ contact Gina Arlotto (firstname.lastname@example.org). DC Chapter being opened by 2 parents: Check them out, consider attending their conference in July (held in DC). Interested in hosting conference participants?
4. Shakespeare at Schools Program Followup – contact Todd Cymrot (email@example.com). June 9 and June 10, 9 a.m. – noon – George Didden Shakespeare Festival at the Folger Shakespeare Library stage (the following schools will be performing: Ludlow-Taylor,Maury, Miner, Stuart Hobson, Tyler, Watkins, and Center City)
5. Articles of Incorporation Status – contact Sherry Trafford (firstname.lastname@example.org) Articles of incorporation are underway. Plan is to pass by-laws this summer.
June 9 and June 10, 9 a.m. – noon – George Didden Shakespeare Festival at the Folger Shakespeare Library stage (the following schools will be performing: Ludlow-Taylor,
Maury, Miner, Stuart Hobson, Tyler, Watkins, and Center City)
Other issues raised:
– Qs for DCPS: W/ national level standards that will be in use in September. How are thematerials going to be used and will there be an alignment? When will DCPS be doing a textbook adoption? Is there a bridge document to align the current curriculum with the new standards for math and for reading?
– Special Ed: coordinators will be taken out of the schools and principals will become responsible for coordinating Special Ed. How would a principal operationalize this along w/ the other work a principal is responsible for?