Capitol Hill Public Schools Parent Organization
Maury Elementary School Library
6:30 p.m. – 8 p.m.
1) At-large City Council Candidates Forum (Charles Allen, Councilmember Wells’ Chief of Staff)
- In April, District voters will elect an at-large City Councilmember in a special election for a two-year term.
- Eliot-Hine would like to host a student-led candidates’ forum focused on education and youth issues.
- Idea is to get students to organize the candidates’ forum, e.g., invite the candidates, find a moderator, advertise the forum, etc.
- Joe Weeden offered that Defeat Poverty DC would be a co-sponsor. CHPSPO offered to co-sponsor.
- Suzanne Wells offered to let Principals Clemens (Capitol Hill Cluster School/Stuart Hobson Middle School) and Gordon (Jefferson Academy) know about the forum to see if there might be opportunities for their students to participate.
- Charles Allen offered to put together a timeline leading up to the forum.
2) DCPS Lottery Communications (Alaina Smith, DCPS, Office of Strategic Enrollment Initiatives)
- Encourage parents to attend open houses
- Encourage schools to list open houses on DCPS open house list
- Lottery is open Jan 28-Feb 25. Entering early does not mean better chance of getting in.
- BIG CHANGES to waitlist and registration processes. See this year’s guide.
- Lottery website: https://lottery.dcps.dc.gov/
3) DCPS Library Task Force update
- Questions around how recommendations to be implemented, e.g., per pupil funding?
- Task force recommendations here.
3) Presentation on Maury’s game lending library (Vanessa Ford, Maury Think Tank Teacher)
- Think Tank and Science Expo on January 24, 6-7:30PM at Maury Elementary School
- Game lending library at Maury is open to all families in the community. Many families have expressed positive feedback. Games serve as a way to engage children around math, science, problem-solving, cooperation.
- Maury received a grant from the Capitol Hill Community Foundation to start the game lending library.
- Think Tank Blog: http://maurythinktank.blogspot.com/
4) Discussion of 2013 CHPSPO Priorities (tabled till next month) – see last year’s priorities here: https://chpspo.org/2012/01/19/chpspo-meeting-notes-january-12-2012/
5) CHPSPO 501(c)3 (Sherry Trafford) (tabled till next month)
- Bank account is open
- CHPSPO has been incorporated
- Almost there for 501c3
Next CHPSPO Meeting: February 19, 2013
- January 22, 2013, 5:30 p.m., Jefferson Academy Open House
- January 22, 2013, 6 p.m., Ward 6 IB presentation, Westminster Presbyterian Church
- January 22, 2013, 6:30-8:30PM, SHAPPE Meeting, Phelps Senior High School – discussing the impact of the recently announced DCPS school closures on the city’s high schools. CM Wells is guest.
- Lots of other open houses coming up – check here for dates: http://dc.gov/DCPS/Learn+About+Schools/Step+1+-+Get+Ready/Open+Houses
- January 29, 6:30 pm, Living Room Chat with Principal Tynika Young for 2nd grade families