Capitol Hill Public Schools Parent Organization
Capitol Hill Community Foundation
419 East Capitol St., SE (next door to Riverby Books)
August 13, 2013
6:30 p.m. – 8 p.m.
1. Washington Teachers’ Union Outreach – David Street
Discussion by group:
- Union striving towards community participation
- How to ‘maximize’ the ‘ward’ or community meetings?
- Cultural changes around ‘last days of school’
- Is IMPACT a sensible use of resources?
- How can we (community) best support efforts (akin to IB)
- How can we align w/ WTU and community on issues like Catania bills (ex: chartering capability for DCPS)
- Relationship between Teach for America, DCPS and impact to career teachers?
- Principal contracts – 1 year apt
- Aug 27 community organization alliance strategy meeting: Plymouth Congregational United Church of Christ 5301 North Capitol Street, NE – 6:30-8:30PM
2. Campaign for Artful Resistance – Bess Altwerger invited (http://saveourschoolsmarch.org/get-involved/the-campaign-for-artful-resistance/)
Discussion by group:
- Do schools, individuals, teachers, families want to create art?
- Ideas around ‘it’s not on the test’?
- Art to be displayed at busboys and poets? Other public spaces?
3. Discussion of Council member Catania’s Community Conversations; Next Steps on Education Bills
- Parents and Communities for Neighborhood Schools
- Soon to distribute comments around Catania bills
- Need to keep close watch on when hearings are scheduled
- Catania may not necessarily introduce all bills for vote
4. Planning Walk-to-School Day – George Blackmon
- Communications to schools this week. Are schools participating? Recruit volunteers.
5. CHPSPO Elections
- Suzanne Wells – Chair
- Sandra Moscoso – Secretary
- Vice Chair?
6. Libraries Update
- Librarians for schools 300+ was restored; excess from renovations earmarked to stock school libraries supported by council. However, librarians have not been actively recruited, nor have books been purchased for renovated schools. NOTE – See update on this via Peter MacPherson’s recent post.
- Plan: protest at ribbon-cutting for Dunbar
Next CHPSPO Meeting: September 17, 2013
August 24 School Beautification Day
August 27 WTU Community Organization Engagement Strategy planning meeting: Plymouth Congregational United Church of Christ 5301 North Capitol Street, NE – 6:30-8:30PM
October 9 Walk to School Day