Capitol Hill Public Schools Parent Organization
Stuart Hobson Middle School
September 15, 2015
1) Discussion about CHPSPO’s nomination to the Cross-Sector Task Force
- Issues we think are important for the Task Force to address
- Planning: # of seats, site selection, curriculum
- Grade alignment (consistency around at grades are included in middle school)
- Financial transparency
- Long-term à amend the existing laws
- Ways to foster stability throughout the school system
- Ways to foster collaboration not competition
- Discussion with people interested in serving on Task Force
- Caryn Ernst (Capitol Hill Cluster School parent and former PTA president) and Sandra Moscoso (Capitol Hill Montessori at Logan & former LSAT Chair/BASISDC parent)
- Voting on CHPSPO’s nomination
- Caryn Ernst was selected to receive the CHPSPO nomination.
2) Discussion about educationdc.net blog, Valerie Jablow; http://educationdc.net/
- Follow the blog via email, disseminate it into your communities and reach out to Valerie to contribute posts
3) Upcoming DC Council Education Committee hearings and events. Laura Marks
- Visit here for calendar of Education Committee hearing dates in September and October 2015 and instructions for submitting testimony
- Public School Food and Nutrition Services Programs and School Food and Nutrition Services Contract Requirement Act of 2015 – public roundtable. Wednesday, September 30, 2015, 10:00 a.m., Hearing Room 412 http://bit.ly/1KrvZx0
- Early Learning Quality Improvement Network Amendment Act of 2015 and Higher Education Licensure Commission Amendment Act of 2015. Thursday, October 1, 2015, 10:00 a.m., Hearing Room 412 http://bit.ly/1WyW0nw
- Public Charter School Fiscal Transparency Amendment Act of 2015. Wednesday, October 14, 2015, 1:00 p.m., Hearing Room 120 http://bit.ly/1NATvuJ
4) CHPSPO visits to Wilson Building, Ivan Frishberg.
In process of scheduling group visits with councilmembers on education committee.
5) DCPS Library Resourcing. Peter MacPherson.
- Proposal to advocate for adequately resourcing DCPS libraries (recommended is 20 volumes/student, which is not currently the case at many schools). Idea is to apply the $13.7 million settlement from Chartwells towards funding volumes in schools without adequate collections.
- Surveys were distributed to CHPSPO librarians to collect information about individual school collections. Please return completed surveys to Suzanne Wells.
6) Walk-to-School Day Planning, George Blackmon
- Wednesday, October 7, 7:30-8:30 AM @ Lincoln Park
- Schools are encouraged to hold their own events, if the distance to/from Lincoln Park is inconvenient.
- Speakers; draft agenda:
- 7:30: Arrival/Snacks and American Parkour Academy demos
- 7:45: Ward 6 CM Charles Allen welcomes everyone
- NOTE: Charles give a shout out to Mark Toorock and Matt Caraballo from American Parkour Academy (they won’t speak, but will be leading demos on the park).
- 7:48: Maury ES Cheerleaders perform
- 7:53 Miriam Kenyon, director of health and physical education at District of Columbia Public Schools (DCPS)
- 7:56: Tommy Wells, Director of the District Department of the Environment
- 7:59: JO Wilson ES Cheerleaders perform
- 8:04: Fitness celebrity Gabriella Boston leads yoga stretch
- 8:10: Charles Allen sends everyone off to school
7) American Parkour, Mark Toorock and Matt Caraballo email@example.com
- Contact Mark and Matt about after school programming which can be brought to schools
Next CHPSPO Meeting: October 20, 2015
September 30 Education Committee hearing on DCPS Food & Nutrition Services Program, 10AM
September 30 DCPS State of Schools with Chancellor Henderson, Dunbar HS, 7-9 PM
October 4 Brent Fall Festival
October 7 Walk-to-School Day (register your school at www.walkbiketoschool.org)
October 8 Jefferson Academy vs Stuart Hobson (6-8 PM @ Coolidge HS)
October 10 Capitol Hill Cluster School PTA Renovators Tour Fundraiser
October 17 Capitol Hill Community Foundation’s A Literary Feast (http://www.aliteraryfeast.org/)
October 21 Education Committee hearing on issues facing youth
October 24 Capitol Hill Montessori at Logan’s Haunted Harvest, 6-9PM
October 24 Maury Elementary’s Fall Festival
October 24 Tyler Elementary’s Harvest Festival, 11AM-3PM
November 8 JO Wilson’s Taste of H (http://www.tasteofh.org/)