Health and Wellness teams, Safe Routes to School committees, and cycling enthusiasts, have you registered your school for Bike to School Day?
The big day is Wednesday, May 7. Register your school here (for goodies from DC’s Department of Transportation) and plan your event or help plan a joint school event at Lincoln Park!
How can you help? Easy!
- Reach out to your favorite bike-friendly group or business to solicit healthy breakfast snacks for kids, coffee for adults, reusable bags to distribute goodies at the Lincoln Park pit stop (Vigilante Coffee, Pound, Port City Java, Whole Foods, Georgetown Sports, Medstar Georgetown, DC Water, The Daily Rider, Bicycle Space, and Clif Kids have all supported us in the past)
- Write a small grant request (from Capitol Hill Community Foundation, who always generously support us) to fund snack purchase and National Parks and Rec permit
- Bring folding tables to Lincoln Park to set up give aways, snacks
- Reach out to your favorite bike-friendly group, personality, local celebrity to say a few encouraging words at the event, and to help launch bike trains to school (Gabriella Boston, Capitol Hill Martial Arts & Fitness Academy, Eazy 8/Kathy Pugh, CM Tommy Wells, the Long-Short Walk, National Center for Safe Routes to School, and DC’s Dept of Transportation have supported us in the past)
- Score useful swag for the kiddos (reflectors, bells, water bottles) to hand out
- Arrange for local safety groups like MPD, DCFD to participate
- Coordinate and lead bike trains to your schools
- MOST IMPORTANTLY – get the word out to your school communities, local media and community groups to make sure they participate, and join in the fun!
Contact us at chpspo at gmail dot com to volunteer.
Brush up on your bike safety skills and sure you and your family attend Kidical Mass DC’s ABCs of Family Biking on May 3, 11-2 @ Capitol Hill Montessori at Logan (215 G Street, NE).