FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Wednesday, July 11
Contact: CHPSPO, email@example.com, Bella Dinh-Zarr (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Robert Zarr (RLZARR@yahoo.com)
Parents and Students Hold Baked Goodies Event to Support DCPS Libraries
Washington, DC- On Wednesday, July 11, 2012, parents and students from across Washington, DC will be raising funds to support funding school librarians in District of Columbia Public Schools (DCPS).
DCPS says they can’t support their school libraries, so let’s help them. Bring a dozen baked goods with you to the Wilson Building on Wednesday morning (July 11). All donations will be donated to Kaya Henderson for the school libraries. It’s a great way to involve your children…they can help you bake, practice their math as they count money on that morning, and learn some civics about what it takes to be an involved citizen in our world.
We want DCPS to:
- Budget a librarian in every school (at least ½ time in smaller schools).
- Move librarian position to core staff category (not flexible/optional).
- Provide a “per student” budget allocation for books/materials.
- Make their budget more transparent!
What You Can Do:
- Come to the Wilson Building on July 11th
- Contribute a baked good (see below)
- Tell the media (press release available)
- Tell the Mayor and Chancellor!
More details here –> Librarians Flyer 7-11-12.
UPDATE – Thanks for your support on the 4th of July bake sale. We raised $90 in donations and sales. To date, $346 has been raised in support of DCPS libraries… Have we managed to raise awareness? You decide. Tell the Chancellor and Mayor you support DCPS Libraries!