Barracks Row #SaveSchoolLibraries pop-up library – thank you!
Thanks to everyone who stopped by our mini pop-up library on Saturday in support of DCPS Librarians. We met dozens of school and community librarians from DC and all over the country, children of librarians, and of course, supporters of librarians. In a short period of time, we gave away dozens of books, raised over $650 towards continued advocacy and media buy for #SaveSchoolLibraries, and added over 100 signatures to the petition to restore DCPS budget for librarians.
Special thanks to ANC6B Commissioner Brian Pate for organizing the event, ANC6D Commissioner David Garber for pitching in and volunteering, and to Restauranteur Xavier Cervera for donating $1500 in restaurant gift certificates (Lolas, Molly Malone’s, Senarts, Hawk N Dove and more!) that went towards a silent auction to help us raise funds.
As always, it takes a village. Thanks to the volunteers (adults and kids) who made this happen. Enjoy these photos of the event.
What can you do to help Save School Libraries?
- Read this fact sheet –> Library Facts Handout 9-19 and reach out to the Mayor Gray, your Councilmember and Chancellor Henderson.
- Support Council Member Jack Evans’ bill to restore DCPS funding for librarians, art and music teachers.
- Encourage local leaders to support this effort, like ANC6B’s Resolution.
- Sign the online petition.
- Tell the world you support our DC Public School Librarians. ‘Like’ CHPSPO on Facebook, follow @CHPSPO on Twitter, tweet #SaveSchoolLibraries. Keep up with updates via http://chpspo.org