Capitol Hill Public Schools Parent Organization
Maury Elementary School Library
6:30 p.m. – 8 p.m.
1) At-large City Council Candidates Forum (Charles Allen, Councilmember Wells’ Chief of Staff)
- In April, District voters will elect an at-large City Councilmember in a special election for a two-year term.
- Eliot-Hine would like to host a student-led candidates’ forum focused on education and youth issues.
- Idea is to get students to organize the candidates’ forum, e.g., invite the candidates, find a moderator, advertise the forum, etc.
- Joe Weeden offered that Defeat Poverty DC would be a co-sponsor. CHPSPO offered to co-sponsor.
- Suzanne Wells offered to let Principals Clemens (Capitol Hill Cluster School/Stuart Hobson Middle School) and Gordon (Jefferson Academy) know about the forum to see if there might be opportunities for their students to participate.
- Charles Allen offered to put together a timeline leading up to the forum.
2) DCPS Lottery Communications (Alaina Smith, DCPS, Office of Strategic Enrollment Initiatives)
- Encourage parents to attend open houses
- Encourage schools to list open houses on DCPS open house list
- Lottery is open Jan 28-Feb 25. Entering early does not mean better chance of getting in.
- BIG CHANGES to waitlist and registration processes. See this year’s guide.
- Lottery website: https://lottery.dcps.dc.gov/
3) DCPS Library Task Force update
- Questions around how recommendations to be implemented, e.g., per pupil funding?
- Task force recommendations here.
3) Presentation on Maury’s game lending library (Vanessa Ford, Maury Think Tank Teacher)
- Think Tank and Science Expo on January 24, 6-7:30PM at Maury Elementary School
- Game lending library at Maury is open to all families in the community. Many families have expressed positive feedback. Games serve as a way to engage children around math, science, problem-solving, cooperation.
- Maury received a grant from the Capitol Hill Community Foundation to start the game lending library.
- Think Tank Blog: http://maurythinktank.blogspot.com/
4) Discussion of 2013 CHPSPO Priorities (tabled till next month) – see last year’s priorities here: http://chpspo.org/2012/01/19/chpspo-meeting-notes-january-12-2012/
5) CHPSPO 501(c)3 (Sherry Trafford) (tabled till next month)
- Bank account is open
- CHPSPO has been incorporated
- Almost there for 501c3
Next CHPSPO Meeting: February 19, 2013
- January 22, 2013, 5:30 p.m., Jefferson Academy Open House
- January 22, 2013, 6 p.m., Ward 6 IB presentation, Westminster Presbyterian Church
- January 22, 2013, 6:30-8:30PM, SHAPPE Meeting, Phelps Senior High School - discussing the impact of the recently announced DCPS school closures on the city’s high schools. CM Wells is guest.
- Lots of other open houses coming up – check here for dates: http://dc.gov/DCPS/Learn+About+Schools/Step+1+-+Get+Ready/Open+Houses
- January 29, 6:30 pm, Living Room Chat with Principal Tynika Young for 2nd grade families
Thanks to the Alaina Smith and the DCPS Lottery team for joining us in January to share this year’s lottery process.
Note there are a few changes coming, particularly around waitlist (hint: apply in order of TRUE preference) and enrollment (no more letter of intent, but be ready to submit enrollment forms w/ proof of address by May 1). More information on DCPS’ website.Read Full Post | Make a Comment ( 1 so far )
Looking to learn more about DC public schools on Capitol Hill? Check out the city-wide open house schedule on DCPS’ website.Read Full Post | Make a Comment ( None so far )
It may still be the holidays, but our CHPSPO schools are busy planning for open houses, where they will showcase their programs. Open houses are a great way to check out your local or out of boundary schools.
DC Public Schools (DCPS) keeps a central list of upcoming open houses, but it’s a good idea to check in with the school, in case of inclement weather.
The DCPS pre-school/pre-K/out of boundary lottery for the 2012-13 school year is open January 30-February 27, 2012. Read more about this on the DCPS website.Read Full Post | Make a Comment ( None so far )
To access your results, go here: https://lottery.dcps.dc.gov/Read Full Post | Make a Comment ( None so far )
From January 28 through February 28. Best of luck to all families!Read Full Post | Make a Comment ( None so far )
Arts integration · Spanish immersion · Very special, special ed inclusion for
high-functioning spectrum students · New outdoor classroom · Pre-school to fifth
The more you learn about Tyler Elementary School, the more you’ll want your
student to be a part of the Tyler family. Tyler is truly a neighborhood school
that values community and inclusion.
Tyler is hosting Open Houses:
Thursday, FEBRUARY 3rd from 9:00-11:00 am
Tuesday evening, FEBRUARY 8th · 5:30-7:30 pm
To help us prepare for your visit, please RSVP by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org
1001 G St SE · Washington, DC 20003 · (202) 939-4810 · www.tylerelementary.netRead Full Post | Make a Comment ( None so far )
Learn more at DCPS.dc.gov and check out the FAQs here: http://dcps.dc.gov/DCPS/Link%20Collections/PS%20PK%20Lottery%202011-2012%20FAQ%20Final.pdfRead Full Post | Make a Comment ( None so far )