Capitol Hill Public Schools Parent Organization
Maury Elementary School Library
6:30 p.m. – 8 p.m.
1) At-large City Council Candidates Forum (Charles Allen, Councilmember Wells’ Chief of Staff)
- In April, District voters will elect an at-large City Councilmember in a special election for a two-year term.
- Eliot-Hine would like to host a student-led candidates’ forum focused on education and youth issues.
- Idea is to get students to organize the candidates’ forum, e.g., invite the candidates, find a moderator, advertise the forum, etc.
- Joe Weeden offered that Defeat Poverty DC would be a co-sponsor. CHPSPO offered to co-sponsor.
- Suzanne Wells offered to let Principals Clemens (Capitol Hill Cluster School/Stuart Hobson Middle School) and Gordon (Jefferson Academy) know about the forum to see if there might be opportunities for their students to participate.
- Charles Allen offered to put together a timeline leading up to the forum.
2) DCPS Lottery Communications (Alaina Smith, DCPS, Office of Strategic Enrollment Initiatives)
- Encourage parents to attend open houses
- Encourage schools to list open houses on DCPS open house list
- Lottery is open Jan 28-Feb 25. Entering early does not mean better chance of getting in.
- BIG CHANGES to waitlist and registration processes. See this year’s guide.
- Lottery website: https://lottery.dcps.dc.gov/
3) DCPS Library Task Force update
- Questions around how recommendations to be implemented, e.g., per pupil funding?
- Task force recommendations here.
3) Presentation on Maury’s game lending library (Vanessa Ford, Maury Think Tank Teacher)
- Think Tank and Science Expo on January 24, 6-7:30PM at Maury Elementary School
- Game lending library at Maury is open to all families in the community. Many families have expressed positive feedback. Games serve as a way to engage children around math, science, problem-solving, cooperation.
- Maury received a grant from the Capitol Hill Community Foundation to start the game lending library.
- Think Tank Blog: http://maurythinktank.blogspot.com/
4) Discussion of 2013 CHPSPO Priorities (tabled till next month) – see last year’s priorities here: http://chpspo.org/2012/01/19/chpspo-meeting-notes-january-12-2012/
5) CHPSPO 501(c)3 (Sherry Trafford) (tabled till next month)
- Bank account is open
- CHPSPO has been incorporated
- Almost there for 501c3
Next CHPSPO Meeting: February 19, 2013
- January 22, 2013, 5:30 p.m., Jefferson Academy Open House
- January 22, 2013, 6 p.m., Ward 6 IB presentation, Westminster Presbyterian Church
- January 22, 2013, 6:30-8:30PM, SHAPPE Meeting, Phelps Senior High School - discussing the impact of the recently announced DCPS school closures on the city’s high schools. CM Wells is guest.
- Lots of other open houses coming up – check here for dates: http://dc.gov/DCPS/Learn+About+Schools/Step+1+-+Get+Ready/Open+Houses
- January 29, 6:30 pm, Living Room Chat with Principal Tynika Young for 2nd grade families
COME LEARN, PLAY AND THINK WITH YOUR CHILD!
WHEN: January 24, 2012 from 6:00-7:30pm
WHERE: Maury Elementary Multi-Purpose Room and grounds (1250 Constitution Ave. NE)
WHAT: This year you will find some of last year’s favorite stations, as well as new ones! You will be able to…
- Construct ramps, balance objects, fold origami and identify your own Multiple Intelligences!
- Play with light, lasers and sound and observe the night sky with real telescopes!
- Play lots of games from the Think Tank Lending Library and Labyrinth Puzzles and Games!
- Try out CrossFit and learn about the science behind health and fitness!
- Meet “ Wendy the Waterdrop ”, mascot of DC Water!
- Win fun prizes just for participating!
Visit with experts from the National Science Foundation, DC Department of the Environment, Living Classrooms, Anacostia Watershed Society, Casey Trees, DC Beekeeper Association, DC WASA, National Capital Astronomers, District CrossFit and more! Learn more about the Think Tank > http://maurythinktank.blogspot.com/.Read Full Post | Make a Comment ( 1 so far )