Capitol Hill Public School Parent Organization (http://chpspo.org)
Middle School Subcommittee Meeting
September 21, 2010
Tyler Elementary School
6:30 – 8:30 p.m.
- Naval Lodge Fun Fair Proposal (for 2011) – contact Michael Webb (email@example.com). Michael presented a proposal to join forces with and make CHPSPO the recipient for funds raised in next fun fairs going forward (For which the Naval Lodge provide ‘sweat equity’ and cover cost for amusements and food to raise funds for a cause). Click here for a description of last year’s fun fair. This year, the Naval Lodge will participate in Barracks Row Festival. Key Q’s raised: Where to host fun fair next year? What would be the cause? I: Need 25-20 volunteers average to serve refreshments, run amusements. Typically done around end Sep, early October. Rachel Klein from Ludlow-Taylor will look into it for the school and keep this on the CHPSPO agenda.
- Walk to School 2010 – contact Jerome Young (firstname.lastname@example.org), Maury parent. The Cluster and Maury are teaming up to put on this event. Wednesday, October 6 is Walk to School Day. Schools will meet at Lincoln Park at 8:00 for the festivities (food from Wholefoods, Music, Safety info, more…). Need volunteers for set up and clean up and to promote the event. Jerome will share posters/promo materials w/ each school via the principals. Wear your school T-shirts and show your school spirit.
- Middle School Collaboration Teams – contact your school’s principal. Deadline was September 10 to express interest in participating in the teams to implement the plan. Of the schools represented in this meeting, none seemed to have kicked off yet.
- Ward 6 State Board of Education Candidates – Lisa Raymond shared the description of and her experience in the role of the DC State Board of Education (http://sboe.dc.gov/). Monica Warren-Jones shared her platform. Melissa Rohan was unable to attend.
- Ward 6 State Board of Education Candidates forum – contact Barbara Riehle (email@example.com). CHPSPO will collaborate with other groups to bring a candidates forum to Ward 6 in the next few weeks.
Next CHPSPO Meeting: October 19, 2010
- September 23 Discussion with SW Parents and Educators for Education Excellence, Now; 6:15 p.m., 401 4th Street, SW (ID required)
- September 24 Capitol Hill Community Foundation Fall Grant Deadline
- September 26 Film screening of “Two Angry Moms” followed by discussion of DC school food, 3 pm – 5 pm, Whole Foods Market – Georgetown: 2323 Wisconsin Avenue, NW
- October 6 Walk to School Day, 8 a.m., Lincoln Park
- October 11 – 15 Local Foods and School Garden Week