The Capitol Hill Public Schools Parent Organization meeting was held at Brent Elementary School on February 15, 2011, 6:30 – 8 p.m.
- CHPSPO’s 2011 priorities
- Implement Ward 6 Middle School Plan and support of restart of Eastern (Championed by Suzanne Wells – firstname.lastname@example.org) by:
- Helping all middle schools communicate well with elementary schools, particularly rising 6th graders
- Advocate for resources to implement the Middle School Plan
- Frame out a communications and marketing strategy (Championed by Jason Townsend, email@example.com)
- Connect and reach out to Eastern Principal Skerritt
- Schedule meeting with Chancellor Kaya Henderson – prepare briefing of status of MS plan implementation (Sherry and Suzanne have lead)
- Schedule a meeting with Mayor Gray
- Improving school food (Championed by Laura Marks – firstname.lastname@example.org)
- CHPSPO to serve as a forum for advocating for healthy school lunches, follow up on implementation of Healthy Schools Act
- School Greening (Championed by Laura Marks – email@example.com)
- Organizational support for CHPSPO ( 501(c)3 status, website, etc.) (Championed by Sherry Trafford – firstname.lastname@example.org):
- Support emerging elementary schools (championed by Rachel Klein, email@example.com)
2. Discussion of Hine redevelopment and educational opportunities )
- In search of ‘education’ organizations (with funding) to be part of Hine development. Hine has a long history and affiliation with education organizations. Contact Barbara Riehle (Barbara@erols.com) with ideas.
3. Discussion and approval of by-laws (Contact Sherry Trafford – firstname.lastname@example.org) Draft will be circulated before the next CHPSPO meeting and plan to approve it at next CHPSPO meeting=.
- Discussed which schools are members of CHPSPO, and expressed desire to be inclusive of neighborhood public schools
- Voting members of CHPSPO will be designated by participating schools
4. Updates to CHPSPO website – please any information you’d like posted on the CHPSPO site (upcoming fundraisers, open houses, special honors, etc) to Sandra Moscoso (email@example.com), Laura Marks (firstname.lastname@example.org), or Suzanne Wells (email@example.com) or post to the CHPSPO community page on Facebook.
Next CHPSPO Meeting: March 15, 2011
- March 18: Ludlow-Taylor’s Spring Gala
- March 26: Maury at the Market
- April 1:Hill Community Foundation Spring Grant Deadline
- April 2: Brent’s Taste of the Hill Gala
- April 9: School-Within-School at Peabody’s Jazz Gala & Auction
- April 30: A Montessori Night’s Dream: Second Annual Silent AuctionCapitol
- Meeting with Vincent Gray on Middle School Plan TBD