THEARC’s ARTREACH (program invites you to join uson April 12, 2015, for the first annual Anacostia River Festival Fish Bike Parade. What is a Fish Bike Parade? Well, picture hundreds of bikes riding around the DC streets with colorful handmade fish windsocks like the one’s pictured below flying above their heads and convening at the festival to create an above water river display. We think it will be a beautiful and memorable sight.
Over the next few weeks we will be creating fish flags inspired by the Japanese tradition of creating carp-shaped windsocks known as “Koinobori”. The fish windsocks will then be attached to poles on the back of bikes for a flying fish performance at the festival.
Anyone and everyone is invited to participate in learning about fish native to the Anacostia River and creating a fish windsock of their own. We are hoping to get as many biking “schools” or “clubs” as possible to join in the fun!
In preparation of the parade we will be hosting a few workshops to create fish windsocks at the ArtReach studio at THEARC and various DC neighborhoods. The workshops are free, open to all ages, and for everyone regardless of creative experience. Don’t hesitate to join!
Upcoming workshops – REGISTER HERE: http://bridgepark.org/events.
- Saturday, March 28: 3:30 – 5:30pm Capitol Hill Arts Workshop (CHAW) (545 7th Street, SE)
- Tuesday, March 31: 6:30 – 8:30pm GW’s Corcoran Printmaking Dept (1801 35th Street NW
- Wednesday, April 1: 6:00 – 8:00pm THEARC (ArtReach studio -1901 Mississippi Ave SE)
- Saturday, April 4: 9:00am – 12:00pm Capitol Hill Arts Workshop (CHAW) (545 7th Street, SE)
- Saturday, April 4: 10:00am – 1:00pm THEARC (ArtReach studio – 1901 Mississippi Ave SE)
- Wednesday, April 8: time TBD Happy Hour AWS
- Thursday, April 9: 4:30 – 6:30pm Hill Center (921 Pennsylvania Ave SE)
- Thursday, April 9: 6:30 – 8:30pm Hill Center (921 Pennsylvania Ave SE)
Need more information or want to join the mailing list? Please contact Melissa Green at firstname.lastname@example.org
Director of ArtReach and the Community Gallery at THEARC
1901 Mississippi Ave SE
Washington, DC 20020