Miner Elementary School 601 15th St., NE
April 17, 2018, 6:30 p.m. – 8 p.m.
- Feedback Session on School Report Cards, Chloe Woodward-Magrane, OSSE
- Engagement period on content is closed, focused on what the content will look like, vis a vis report card.
- Please share with your communities – public can provide feedback on wireframes via: https://64d26337.optimalworkshop.com/questions/n3un6n60
- Concerns about persistence of STAR rating across report card header, and the potentially negative impact on schools with low rating (ESSA assigns 70% of weight to standardized test performance – if STAR rating follows suit, the majority of schools will score poorly)
- STAR approach is too much like ‘amazon’ ratings, which communicate ratings based on crowd feedback – report card design has no ‘citizen feedback’ opportunities
- School profile:
- Prioritize information like principal name/contact; deprioritize transportation options
- Additional data points: School Facility Modernization status, student population by ward/neighborhood, more context around performance while taking into account special education population
- Should CHPSPO host a Ward 6 Councilmember candidate forum focused on education?
- Short discussion; not much appetite, given it is the end of the school year and it’s budget season.
- Bike-to-School Day, Sandra Moscoso-Mills
- Mayor Bowser, Councilmember Charles Allen, National Park Service, Interim Chancellor Alexander, National Transportation Safety Board’s Bella Dinh-Zarr, JO Wilson Cheerleaders, National Center for Safe Routes to School, DC Water, Kathy Pugh Running, Gabriella Boston, Metropolitan Police Department, DDoT, The Daily Rider, LimeBike, SBOE’s Joe Weedon, CityBikes, Zeke’s Coffee, Story of Our Schools and more!
- Selfie stations, helmet checks, helmet giveaways, NPS ranger badges, CaBi’s BikeinBloom, Wendy the Water Drop, light snacks, and more!
Next CHPSPO Meeting: May 15, 2018
DC Council Performance Oversight and Budget Hearings
Thursday, April 19, DCPS Budget Hearing, government witnesses (Wilson Building)
Wednesday, May 9, 7:30 am – 8:30 am, Lincoln Park, 13th and East Capitol St., SE
Ward 6 City Council Candidate Forums
Monday, April 30, 7 – 9 pm, The Hill Center, 901 Pennsylvania Ave., SE
Tuesday, June 5, 7 – 9 pm, Westminster Presbyterian Church, 400 I St., SW
Capitol Hill Community Engagement IB Meeting
Wednesday April 25, 6 pm, Eastern High School